Gesu Church

Dublin Core

Title

Gesu Church

Description

The Gesu Parish traces its origin back to 1848. It was founded by Bishop Martin J. Henni who built St. Gall's Church on Second and Sycamore (Michigan). By the end of the nineteenth century, the Jesuit community was thriving in Milwaukee as it occupied multiple churches and schools across the city. The Jesuits bought the land around Twelfth and Grand (Wisconsin) after the Wisconsin State Fair relocated to West Allis. The Jesuits planned to build a massive church with the name Gesu to reunite the scattered parish.
In a grand ceremony, the cornerstone was laid on May 21, 1893, and the church was dedicated after completion on December 16, 1894. Today, the Society of Jesus sponsors six separate ministries: Marquette University; Marquette University High School; Cristo Rey High School; Nativity Jesuit Middle School; St. Patrick’s Parish and Gesu Parish. 

Creator

H.C. Koch & Co.

Source

"North facade of Gesu Church," Building a Campus, Marquette University Raymor Memorial Libraries. 

Publisher

Marquette University Raynor Memorial Libraries

Date

1892

Rights

This image is issued by Marquette University. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Department of Special Collections and University Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please credit: Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University Libraries.

Format

Photograph

Files

Citation

H.C. Koch & Co., “Gesu Church,” Near West Side History Project, accessed June 24, 2018, http://www.nwshistory.org/items/show/3.